Pages

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Life: Don't Let it Just Pass You By

I'm sure we have all heard the phrase: "Life is short". Ever stop for a minute to actually consider this? I am not talking about a mere agreement, but a deep understanding of what this implies. Yes, a lot of people use this phrase, especially when a loved one passes away. With all the well-known people that passed away in the recent weeks, this got me thinking again about life - and how brief our existence can be on this earth.

Many are still reeling from the passing of former President Nelson Mandela, boxing champion Jacob "Baby Jake" Matlala, as well as American celebrity Paul Walker. We salute them indeed, and may they rest in peace. We must remember of course, is that there are many out there dying every day, all around us. Sadly, we all go about our lives nonchalantly without realising with all the hustle and bustle of life, that there is more to life.

I too, sometimes find myself a victim of this dreaded mind-set. But often I am reminded of my close shave with death many years ago. After being involved in a horrendous motor accident, and having a near-death experience that altered my life forever, my whole viewpoint on life has changed.  I realised that I had lost focus on how to live, and that we are actually so vulnerable to the elements around us. One minute you are here, the next you are swept away into the next life. Time is precious yes, but so are your partners, family, and friends. Never forget this fact.

Savour each moment as if it is your last! I know this may sound a tad cliché, but really nothing could be further from the truth. Just as I had not an inkling of what was to happen to me that fateful night, so we are not assured of tomorrow, or even the next minute. Treasure what you have, instead of hoping for more. Remember to keep in contact with your loved ones, pay attention to them and their lives, work at your relationships, show appreciation, and leave each other with kind words.  It may be the last time you ever see them again.


Love, peace, joy and blessings to you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment